In the mid 1940’s, a group of birders got together and formed a local Audubon Club. The group officially became the Will County Chapter of the Illinois Audubon Society (IAS) in 1971. The IAS is a not-for-profit conservation organization chartered by the State of Illinois in 1897. Both organizations are dedicated to conserving wildlife and habitat in Will County.
Volunteer opportunities in which Audubon members are currently involved include:
- Serving as interpreters at Lake Renwick Heron Rookery on behalf of Will County Forest Preserve District
- Guiding birding tours at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie
- Maintaining the Wildlife Viewing Area at the Pilcher Park Nature Center
- Conducting educational programs on birding and the environment
- Staffing the annual Hummingbird Festival at Sagawau Learning Center (a facility of the Forest Preserve District of Cook County)
- Participating in the Annual Spring and Christmas Bird Counts
Interested in becoming a member?
2023 Officers and Program Leaders
|Vice President & Programs
|I.A.S. Board Representative